Chlora Lindley-Myers, Director
Truman Building, Room 530
P.O. Box 690
Jefferson City, Missouri 65102
The mission of the Missouri Department of Insurance, Financial Institutions and Professional Registration is to efficiently and effectively encourage a fair and open market for consumer service industries.
The department is committed to the following objectives:
- To maintain consumer confidence by examining and monitoring the financial industries and business professionals.
- To protect public interest by establishing coherent and evolving policies that balance the interests of consumers, professionals and industry.
- To effectively enforce state laws and regulations governing business to protect consumers from unfair and inequitable treatment.
- To lower the burdens of regulation and the cost to consumers by increasing efficiencies.
- To encourage a competitive environment for industries and professions that gives consumers access to quality products.
Consumer Affairs Division
- Helps the public resolve complaints, provides information on insurance policies and investigates insurance fraud
- Provides insurance education and outreach activities to Missouri consumers
Insurance Solvency & Company Regulation Division
- Monitors and analyzes the financial condition, accounting practices and legal compliance of insurance companies licensed in the state through financial examinations
- Certifies and collects premium taxes due the state
Insurance Market Regulation Division
- Regulates the performance of insurance companies in the marketplace by reviewing policies, rates, products and marketing strategies
- Performs market conduct examinations to ensure equitable treatment of policyholders, determine legal compliance and monitor the insurance marketplace
Division of Finance
- The Division of Finance executes laws relating to banks, trust companies, savings and loans, consumer credit companies, credit services organizations and money order companies in Missouri
- Ensures the safety and soundness of financial institutions for Missouri consumers through financial examinations
Division of Credit Unions
- The Division of Credit Unions oversees the examination, supervision, chartering, merger and liquidation of credit unions
- Responds to consumer complaints about credit union services and operations
Division of Professional Registration
- The Division of Professional Registration licenses qualified professionals, appropriately enforcing standards and maintaining an open communication network among over 400,000 professional Missourians
- Supports 39 professional licensing boards that process applications, administer examinations and conduct investigations into possible professional misconduct
Resource Administration Division
- Conducts department-wide administrative support functions including accounting, human resources, budget and information systems coordination
- Licenses insurance producers, public adjusters, bail bond agents and surplus lines brokers