On April 28, 2011, more than 3 million citizens across 11 states participated in the largest earthquake drill ever practiced in the central United States’ History.
At Mary Paxton Keeley Elementary School in Columbia, the students practiced “Drop, Cover and Hold On,” the agreed upon steps that best reduce injury and death during earthquakes.
For more information about the Great Central U.S. ShakeOut, visit http://www.shakeout.org/centralus/
- The Great Central US Shake Out
- The Department of Natural Resources Encourages Participation
- Drop, Cover, Hold On
- What To Do Before, During, and After an Earthquake
- Facts about the New Madrid Seismic Zone
- History of Earthquakes in Missouri
- Understanding Earthquakes
- New Madrid Eyewitness Accounts