Chlora Lindley-Myers, Director
Truman Building, Room 530
P.O. Box 690
Jefferson City, Missouri 65102
The mission of the Missouri Department of Commerce and Insurance is to efficiently and effectively encourage a fair and open market for consumer service industries.
The department is committed to the following objectives:
- To maintain consumer confidence by examining and monitoring the financial industries and business professionals.
- To protect public interest by establishing coherent and evolving policies that balance the interests of consumers, professionals and industry.
- To effectively enforce state laws and regulations governing business to protect consumers from unfair and inequitable treatment.
- To lower the burdens of regulation and the cost to consumers by increasing efficiencies.
- To encourage a competitive environment for industries and professions that gives consumers access to quality products.
Consumer Affairs Division
- Helps the public resolve complaints, provides information on insurance policies and investigates insurance fraud
- Provides insurance education and outreach activities to Missouri consumers
Insurance Solvency & Company Regulation Division
- Monitors and analyzes the financial condition, accounting practices and legal compliance of insurance companies licensed in the state through financial examinations
- Certifies and collects premium taxes due the state
Insurance Market Regulation Division
- Regulates the performance of insurance companies in the marketplace by reviewing policies, rates, products and marketing strategies
- Performs market conduct examinations to ensure equitable treatment of policyholders, determine legal compliance and monitor the insurance marketplace
Division of Finance
- The Division of Finance executes laws relating to banks, trust companies, savings and loans, consumer credit companies, credit services organizations and money order companies in Missouri
- Ensures the safety and soundness of financial institutions for Missouri consumers through financial examinations
Division of Credit Unions
- The Division of Credit Unions oversees the examination, supervision, chartering, merger and liquidation of credit unions
- Responds to consumer complaints about credit union services and operations
Division of Professional Registration
- The Division of Professional Registration licenses qualified professionals, appropriately enforcing standards and maintaining an open communication network among over 400,000 professional Missourians
- Supports 39 professional licensing boards that process applications, administer examinations and conduct investigations into possible professional misconduct
Resource Administration Division
- Conducts department-wide administrative support functions including accounting, human resources, budget and information systems coordination
- Licenses insurance producers, public adjusters, bail bond agents and surplus lines brokers